13 January 2009

what now?

As I was talking to the student office today, it turned out that no second level class started this month. I was invited to listen in to the third level class, which I did for two hours today, interleaved with two hours of my first level class. The third level class was really interesting, students seemed to be really fluent in Mandarin when it came to discussions and the vocabulary introduced in the class seemed really advanced to me: the first lesson was about describing faces from the teeth, via lips, nose, eyes, ears and hair with several special attributes introduced for each part of the face. Overall, mostly words which you wouldn't use in your daily life (except if faces were your business).
The atmosphere in the class was really great: students seemed to know each other (probably from taking earlier levels together, although some students just joined the class at this level) and were having much fun together. And those people from all the different parts of the world were mostly talking Mandarin among each other. That's really cool! Although I could not easily keep up with this advanced class it was fun and just from hearing those people and taking part in discussions (which are much slowed down when I speak), I learn a lot.
In the other third level class which I took the teacher was using zhuyin (bopomofo), which I thus saw used for the first time. I already understand a little bit of it and think I could learn it quickly by myself when I need it. However, the larger part of this class consisted in reading example texts and dialogue for some new vocabulary, and this text was entirely written in characters and to my big surprise (if I remember correctly) all the students in the class could read this text and knew all the characters! At this point of the class, I was totally knocked out. I already knew some of the characters, but reading an entire text is still beyond my abilities. (My surprise how well those students could read comes from how little attention the first level teachers seem to pay to the writing of characters.)
Now, after taking both first level and third level classes today, I am pretty sure to belong into the second level. But what should I do now? Take the first level class? Take the third level class? Negotiate a special solution? I know one other person from my class who might be ready for a second level class... probably that's not enough to start such a class, but maybe we could get at least one hour of second level each day and take the other two hours with the first level people. Anyway, when we are bored in the first level class, we spend the time writing characters and one of the teachers will at least write characters on the board, so we can copy them (given some basic knowledge about stroke order which we can acquire ourselves).
So, I'm in for another early-morning meeting with Ms. Li. Once again, let's see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment