14 January 2009

is it because I am German?

It is totally obvious to me to pronounce and to hear the difference of aspirated vs. non-aspirated plosives: p-b, t-d, k-g. However for the affricates I can not hear the difference between aspirated and non-aspirated ones: [in Pinyin notation] c-z, ch-zh, q-j. Admittedly, it is even hard for me to tell the difference between the alveolar affricates c-z and the alveolar-palates ones: q-j. However, those are quite important in Chinese and I would really like pronounce and distinguish them well. Admittedly, q-j can be told from c-z by context, but the distinction between q and j and between c and z is quite important.
Hello my linguist friends, who wants to enlighten me?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, that's pretty cool! I mean, the fact that in different phonological enivironments, the same distinction becomes harder to detect, though it's no consolation to you, I'm afraid. I think you are right in that it might have something to do with German not having voiced affricates...

    Have you tried the holding-your-palm-in-front-of-your-mouth test? First, say p and b, t and d, k and g, and observe how strong the puff of air when you say each, then say q and j, c and z, ch and zh, and see if you can duplicate the intensity of the puff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, as babies we tend to lose the ability to perceive those sounds that don't exist in our mother tongue. No worries though. With practice you'll probably be able to get it.

    ReplyDelete