15 January 2009

so here....

In the last four days, I took part in a class of a different level on each day. So I had different class mates on each day! At least, I know a lot of people now!
The simple fact that I already know quite a bit of spoken Chinese, vocabulary and grammar, but almost no writing at all, throw the system out of its rails. Apparently, all classes at the school teach reading and writing together with the spoken language, which means that progress for the vocabulary and grammar is initially very slow. I would suppose that all language schools in Taiwan do the same.
I think the class which I took today is the one in which I will stay. They are still working with the first level book, but are already half through. I think that I know all the oral material in the book (although I have already forgotten much, since I last learned it). So I won't really learn so much new things, but it gives me a fair chance to learn writing, to practice more fluent speaking and listening and to try to actually remember all the words that I already learned. This first-and-a-half level class is my two hour class. All students of this class take the one-hour-class together with another bunch of students who are in a more advanced two-hour-class. This also offers room to catch some more advanced words and expressions.
Overall, I am happy with this outcome. However, I have also noticed that school does not seem to be the place where I can learn many of the words which I want to learn to get around in Taiwan. But I think overall the environment is excellent to permit me learning those words by myself.
Now, it's time to stop blogging and catch up with writing Chinese!

No comments:

Post a Comment